Google
Search the Web BerukBoy's Liberal Rants
The Onion, America's Finest News Source



Monday, June 21, 2004

Not so alone in Cyberspace

Crap.

Just when I thought I was all alone in cyberspace, someone wanders into my blog, reads my posts(!!!), actually takes the time to make some comments (albeit anonymously, tsk tsk tsk) and leaves me wondering who else reads my rants?

And just when I was going to sit my ass down and do some actual work on company time. Ahem.

Contrary to public opinion (based on a rumour stemming from irresponsible remarks made by, err, myself) I do not spend all day surfing the net and checking my email. Not yet, anyway. I'm, uhm, still waiting for the price of wi-fi enabled PCs and a subscription to webbit to go down.

Anyway, I'm just praying fervently that whoever made those posts weren't (a) my mom (b) extended members of my family (c) people from the Special Branch or (d) 50-year-old ladyboys who could crush my budding copywriter career like that dude from Kids in the Hall. The comments were polite and surprisingly intelligent so that would probably disqualify everyone from the above category except for (c).

Ha! Yes, I am scared of the M'sian S.B. even if I am making semi-anonymous posts in cyberspace. But I digress.

Ok, I admit to making sloppy, poorly-substantiated comments in the past. But with regards to the one about Eve not being an afterthought of Adam's creation (i.e. created from a bent rib) please refer here. For all you lazy scumbags who can't be bothered to click on the link, allow me to summarize what Islam Online had to say.

Surah 4 Verse 1 of the Quran states:

"O mankind! Revere your Guardian-Lord, who created you from a single person, created, of like nature, his mate, and from them twain scattered (like seeds) countless men and women...."

And the Hadith where the Prophet talks about women and Adam's rib, goes as follows:

"Treat women kindly. Woman has been created from a rib and the most bent part of the rib is the uppermost. If you try to turn it straight, you will break it. And if you leave it alone, it will remain bent as it is. So treat women kindly." (Bukhari and Muslim)

This particular Hadith is believed by many Muslims to be authentic. However, a number of Islamic scholars question if the translation of 'created from' is valid, basing their argument on the fact that in Arabic, the words 'created from' do not necessarily refer to the substance of creation; they can also refer to the nature of something. These scholars sustain their argument with an example from the Qur’an in which God says "That man has been created from hastiness".

I'm not going to quibble over details. The spirit in which I wrote that post was as a commentary on how some well-meaning Muslims justify the subjegation of women based on their perception that Eve was an afterthought of Adam's creation. There are even those who read Surah 4 Verse 1 of the Quran as "created from a single soul".

If I had more time, I would pull up discussions on bida'ah with regards to the false additions of Christian and Jewish mythoi into mainstream Islam (the 'lie' of evolution or that story where Lot bonked his daughters while in a drunken state, as prime examples). To cut it short (one of my A.E.s is trying to get me off the internet-able terminal because he wants to check his football bets online *grumble*) a bunch of Jews and Christians converted to Islam in its early days and brought with them stories of the prophets preceding Muhammad, a lot of which isn't Islamic, uhm, gospel.

But thanks for the comments and thank you for being polite and sounding half-way intelligent (unlike the drug-addled troglodyte I am sometimes, heh). Please come again and, err, happy surfing.

Ok people. I am out of here for real.

2 Farts in the Wind:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Monkey Boy,

Quran and Hadith are two completely different thing. Again, I suggest you double check what you wrote before partake with your opinion. And do read the translation of the verse that you quoted as the direct translation and the indepth translation of the said verse is different. This is due to the Arabic words that was used.

Thank you

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am really sorry if you are having a hard time accepting my views. And also, I thought the creation of so-called "blogs" is to let other people read your writing and post comments? Or at least that what I thought 'Post Your Comment' means at the end of your every posting? But then again, I do only sound half-intelligent am I not? By the way, a 50-year-old ladyboys who could crush your so called 'budding' copywriter career is perfectly capable in posting comments that is surprisingly intelligent and polite. Your mouth is faster than your head, that is your problem.

By the way, I believe that we are to put unquestionable faith in Hadith over views by muslim scholars. Or at least that is what demanded by the Quran.

Nonetheless, I enjoyed your postings immensely. I'd like to read more of you in the future.

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home